Monday, November 30, 2009

Blog Update! Decisions. Decisions.





Hi everyone!

Now, I've just been ranting and raving about authors who let their websites rot...

Earth to Ella.

I may not be a published author, but I'm doing exactly the same thing. The problem being is that I am working on my review site at the same time as writing a novel (which is not horror and has a deadline). This leaves me with little time to write my Ella stuff, and as you can see the blog has suffered drastically because of it. So, indeed has my ability to break away from my novel to write short stories and flash to submit for publication.

Now I'm not moaning, just wondering what to do about it. I have a real (non-Ella) opportunity to make a go of my writing in a different genre. But it doesn't seem I can fit it all in at the same time. Something has to change. Time is truly of essence.

Does this mean I either have to make sure I set aside time to write my horror, or should I be seriously thinking about concentrating on the one genre for now? I'm at a loss for what to do. It's like having three jobs, all of which I want to keep. I guess the thing is to put my priorities in order. A published novel is a way of making a living (albeit a small one) and should therefore be treated as a "proper job" and on the top of my priorities; a goal that must be completed. And one that if I am determined to do I have to put the effort in to achieve what I want.

Maybe I need to set aside time to work on my Ella stuff, regardless. Make the time. Focus on the hours I have to do it in. Schedule more. The last thing I want to do is to be the Grim Reaper and kill off my horror writing. But when I ask myself why the answer is always the same - I love writing it.  I'm simply not doing it, which doesn't make sense. Does that make it a dream, a wish I could fulfill? Or am I only just beginning to realise, I can't have it all, and must choose between two "jobs" rather than three, since I am only human after all?

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Trying to do too much at once, but not wanting to let go of any of it? My needs have changed, and like my goals, I need to reevaluate what is important in my life.

Maybe the onset of 2010 (which is fast approaching) will bring me the gift of making my mind up. All I can say now, is that I have some serious decision making to do. And fast.

Before I worry too much, and end up looking like him above! 

Ella
X

2 comments:

  1. I can absolutely attest to this - been there. Just find the motivation wherever you can, and create a list to keep handy of reasons you write - refer to it when you need that extra kick. At any rate, don't give up on your writing and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the friendly advice! Much appreciated. :) Seems like I am slowly getting back into the swing of writing my horror.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!